A child in Uganda has tested positive for Ebola in what is the first cross-border case of the deadly virus since an outbreak started in neighbouring Congo last year, Uganda's health ministry said on Tuesday, in a blow to efforts by health workers who for months sought to prevent contamination across the heavily traveled border.
The patient, a five-year-old Congolese boy, has been isolated at a hospital in a district near the Congo border, Ugandan Health Minister Jane Aceng told reporters.
The announcement puts new pressure on the World Health Organisation (WHO) to declare the Ebola outbreak - the second-deadliest in history - a global health emergency.
The Congolese boy crossed into Uganda on 9 June with his family through the Bwera border post, WHO said in a statement. He sought treatment at Kagando hospital and was transferred to Bwera Ebola treatment unit, WHO said.
There have been more than 2,000 confirmed and probable cases of the Ebola virus in Congo since August, with nearly 1,400 deaths.