A 12-year-old giant panda was rescued from choking on steamed cornbread last Saturday in the city of Fuzhou in east China's Fujian Province.
The panda vomited on December 21 when a breeder found it had thrown out gastric juice and spittle.
Doctors then used some antiemetic drugs twice, but the panda's situation did not improve. This led doctors to conduct a thorough examination of the panda.
"I thought it was acute gastroenteritis, but it didn't have loose bowels. I thought it was ileus, but it's stool was normal. If it was toxicosis, it had no nervous sign. So what's the problem," said Chen Yucun, director of the Fuzhou Giant Panda Research Center.
Doctors still did not find pathogenesis after performing six examinations including radioscopy, a blood test and a B-type ultrasound.
A tense atmosphere rose up among doctors until a gastroscopy examination found the cause - a steamed cornbread in the panda's esophagus.
"We took it out piece by piece," said Zhang Zhijian, director of the Gastroenterology Department at the Fuzhou General Hospital in the Nanjing Military Region.
After two hours' of work, the panda's esophagus was cleared, and after two days' observation it was sent to Panda House on Wednesday.
Esophageal obstruction is rare, with only two cases being found in China.
More downloads available at <http://newscontent.cctv.com>
Copyright CCTV For any questions please call +86-10-63969499, or email firstname.lastname@example.org If you want to learn more, please go to the CCTV website at http://newscontent.cctv.com