2. Stuntman Tanner Gill and stuntwoman Jennifer Caputo on fire on red carpet
3. arrival Arnold Schwarzenegger
4. arrival Dennis Hopper on red carpet
5. Michelle Rodriguez posing on bike
6. SOT Charlton Heston - "The stunt men have from the beginning, have been absolutely essential, you can't make anything but comedies without somebody that knows how to jump a horse off a cliff and that sort of stuff, and I owe a lot of my career to those guys, I really do."
7. BTS footage 'Spiderman' - building exploding
8. SOT Michael Bay (director) - "You know for me they've helped me make my vision a reality and you know we're always pushing the limits, trying to do it, we do very dangerous stuff safely, you know."
9. Arrival Kelly Hu
10. SOT Michael Clarke Duncan - "Yeah this is only the second time I think that they've been honoured and they really should be honoured every year. Because they do work and make me look good in certain areas, when I'm afraid to get on top of a horse or building or something these guys come through and make it look so easy; but without that stunt this industry would definitely be crippled."
11. film clip -'The Scorpion King'
12. interior award ceremony
13. Sylvester Stallone presenting Award winner for best overall stunt by a stuntman to Chris Tuck and Tim Trella ('The Fast and The Furious')
14. Arnold Schwarzenegger presenting Honorary Achievement Award winner for acting in action films - Jackie Chan
15. Michelle Rodriguez presenting Award winner for best overall stunt by a stuntwoman to Debbie Evans ('The Fast and The Furious')
16. SOT Buddy van Horn (stuntman for Clint Eastwood) - Lifetime Achievement Award winner
"We're a necessary part of the business and I think the stunt people perform a terrific contribution to the end product. there's a lot of stars out there who do their own stunts and you can let them do it up to a point but we don't want them to get hurt so that's why stuntmen are there."
'The Fast and The Furious', 'Rush Hour 2' and 'A Knight's Tale' took top Honors at the 2002 World Stunt Awards held in L.A. last night.
The honorees, motion pictures' most exciting stunt performers, were selected by the World Stunt Academy from films released in 2001.
The World Stunt Awards is a groundbreaking event that singles out the men and women who smash cars, jump through fire, and put their lives on the line to create movie magic. We all shall see that stunt people are the extreme athletes of the entertainment business and they amplify a special way of live.
Arnold Schwarzenegger, who was the recipient of the first Taurus Honorary Award during the inaugural show in 2001, opened this year's show.
Jackie Chan, director Michael Bay and stunt legend Buddy Van Horn were also honored with Taurus Honorary Awards for their continued support of the stunt community and their contributions to the world of action films.
Jackie Chan received the 2002 Taurus Honorary Award for Acting in Action Films, an honor he accepted live via satellite from Prague where he is currently in production. Michael Bay received the 2002 TaurusHonorary Achievement Awards for Directing Action Films. Buddy Van Horn who has doubled for stars from Clint Eastwood to Billy Bob Thornton received the prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award, in recognition of his pioneering work that helped blaze a trail for a succeeding generation of stunt performers, which was presented to him by Thornton.
The World Stunt Awards benefits the Taurus World Stunt Awards Foundation, which supports stunt professionals that have suffered severe physical injury in pursuit of their work. One of the evening's highlights included the first awards of $50,000 each to recipients Jacob Chambers (who also won for Best Fire Stunt) and Harry Wowchuck, both stunt professionals injured while performing dangerous stunt work in 2001. The Taurus World Stunt Awards Foundation will be perpetuated by annual World Stunt Awards programming and ongoing fundraising activities.
Among the celebrity presenters in attendance were Billy Bob Thornton, Sylvester Stallone, Jennifer Garner, Charlton Heston, Dennis Hopper, Lucy Liu, Matthew McConaughy, Kelly Hu, Rebecca Romjin Stamos, Michael Clarke Duncan, John Cleese, Freddie Prinze, Jr., James Gandolfini and Jon Lovitz. Special presentations were pre-taped by Halle Berry, Pierce Brosnan, and Bruce Willis. The 2002 World Stunt Awards included live stunts performed onstage with Spiderman, Arnold Schwarzenegger falling from a helicopter, Dennis Hopper crashing a limousine and premiere fall guy Bob Brown plummeting 20 stories in a death-defying leap of faith-on fire.
FULL LIST OF WINNERS:
Best Aerial Work Robert Powell "Behind Enemy Lines"
Best Driving Debbie Evans "The Fast and the Furious"
Best Fight Tsuyoshi Abe "Rush Hour 2"
Chung Chi Li
Jen Sung Otterbridge
Hyun Jin Park
Wai Fai Wong
Best Fire Stunt Jacob Chambers "The Last Castle"
Best High Work Andy Cheng "Rush Hour 2"
Best Specialty Stunt Andy Cheng "Rush Hour 2"
Best Water Work Stanton Barrett "Jurassic Park III"
Laura Lee Connery
Best Work with a Vehicle Mike Justus "The Fast and the Furious"
Best Work with an Animal Pasquel Madera "A Knight ' s Tale"
Hardest Hit Tom Dupont "A Knight ' s Tale"
Best Stunt by a Stuntman Tim Trella "The Fast and the Furious"
Best Stunt by a Stuntwoman Debbie Evans "The Fast and the Furious"
Best Stunt Coordinator and/or 2nd Unit Director in a Feature Mic Rodgers "The Fast and the Furious"
Best Stunt Coordinator and/or 2nd Unit Director in a Sequence Kenny Bates "Pearl Harbor"