Sewol ferry victims' families and other activists held a rally on April 11th 2015 in Seoul to urge the government to expedite the salvage of the sunken vessel.
Police estimated that around 2,500 took part in the rally, which included a march towards the South Korean Presidential Office.
There were clashes between some activists and police officers, who were blocking the protesters' access.
The South Korean government said on Friday that its feasibility study showed that salvaging the ferry is possible - but also said that it has not decided whether to do so.
The victim's families oppose the government's enforcement ordinance of a special law relating to the disaster, which they say is holding back a full, independent investigation into what happened.
The Sewol - carrying 476 people, mostly secondary school students from Danwon High School - sank on April 16th 2014.
A total of 295 bodies have been recovered. Nine others remain missing.
Officials have blamed negligence by crew members, excessive cargo and improper storage for the sinking, along with slow rescue efforts.
A court sentenced 15 crew members last year to between five and 36 years in prison.
Thousands of South Koreans gathered to try to set a new record for creating the largest candlelight image to commemorate the victims of the sunken ferry Sewol on April 17th.
The attempt came a day after the first anniversary of the incident, which killed over 300 people.
The initial target was to gather 4,160 people but the number eventually reached 4,475.
They stood in the shape of the sunken ferry, and demanded the South Korean government reveal the truth behind the incident, and salvage the sunken ferry to find nine passengers, who are still missing.
Jeon Myung-sun, the father of Jeon Chan-ho, one of the Danwon High School students who died in the incident, resolved to keep urging the South Korean government to punish the people responsible for the disaster.
Other participants also called on the government to do more.
The Sewol ferry sank on April 2014 off the southwestern coast of South Korea.
It was en route to Jeju Island, carrying 476 passengers.
A total of 304 people died, including 250 students from Danwon High School in Ansan, who were on their way to their first field trip as high school students.
A South Korean appellate court on April 28th handed down a sentence of life in prison to the captain of a ferry that sank in 2014, killing more than 300 people.
The sentencing is harsher than a November verdict by a district court that sentenced Lee Joon-seok to 36 years in prison for negligence and abandoning passengers in need.
Lee's sentence was increased because the Gwangju High Court convicted him on homicide charges, according to court spokesman.
In the November ruling, Lee was acquitted of homicide.
The appellate court sentenced 14 other navigation crew members to 18 months to 12 years in prison.
In November they had received sentences of five to 30 years in prison.
Jeon said both prosecutors and the crew members have one week to appeal the verdicts.
Most of the victims were teenagers travelling to a southern island for a school trip.
A total of 295 bodies have been retrieved but nine others are missing.