Injured arrive at Beirut hospital after explosion
Dateline: 4 August 2020 - Beirut
Date: 08/04/2020 08:20 PM
Beirut – 4 August 2020
1. Ambulance arriving at hospital
2. Wounded being taken inside hospital from ambulance
3. Various of wounded people at entrance to triage area
4. SOUNDBITE (Arabic) eyewitness (no name given):
"I don't know (what to say), a catastrophe hit Lebanon. Allah protect us from greater things."
5. Wounded woman on the phone
6. Sign reading (Arabic and English) "Emergency entrance for ambulances"
Massive explosions rocked downtown Beirut on Tuesday, flattening much of the port, damaging buildings and blowing out windows and doors as a giant mushroom cloud rose above the capital.
Witnesses saw many people injured by flying glass and debris.
Lebanon's national news agency said there were numerous casualties.
Ambulances ferried the injured to hospital.
The Lebanese Red Cross said 30 of its teams were responding to reports of casualties and that the organization was on "high alert."
A public call for blood donations followed swiftly.
Prime Minister Hassan Diab declared that Wednesday would be a day of mourning.
Authorities indicated the blast was accidental.