MIDDLE EAST: PALESTINIANS & ISRAELIS CELEBRATE MAY DAY
Date: 05/01/2000 04:00 AM
Ar Ram, between Jerusalem and Ramallah, 1 May 2000
1. Crowd waving flags to celebrate May Day
2. Flag waving
4. Various of Israelis and Palestinians side by side holding banners and flags
5. Banner calling for peace
6. Pan along crowd to Israeli soldiers and Palestinian police
7. Various of Palestinian police and Israeli protesters
8. Banner for Palestine General Federation of Trade Unions
9. Protester waving red flag
Palestinians and Israelis joined forces to mark the traditional May Day holiday at the Ar Ram checkpoint.
Ar Ram is situated on the Green Line dividing the West Bank and Israel.
Monday's event was monitored by Israeli soldiers, alongside Palestinian police, but passed off peacefully.
The show of unity by Israelis and Palestinians was particularly appropriate on May Day, which historically has always been a time for workers to show solidarity with one another.
In Soviet times, the holiday one was one of the main days in the Communist calendar, with demonstrators marching throughout in cities across the world.
The occasion has particular resonance in Israel, which has a strong and long-standing left-wing tradition.