"I would like them to prove that (Jho Lows involvement), I would like them to prove that, you can see from the SRC trial (previous trial) theres a great deal of struggle, by the prosecution to even link us with Jho Low (fugitive billionaire)."
Former Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak's second corruption trial started Wednesday, with a prosecutor alleging he pilfered billions of dollars from the 1MDB state investment fund through an "elaborate charade" and then sought to cover his tracks.
Najib faces 42 charges of corruption, abuse of power and money laundering in five separate criminal cases linked to the 1MDB scandal that contributed to his shocking electoral defeat last year.
Najib, 66, denies wrongdoing and accuses Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad's government of seeking political vengeance.
His first trial, involving seven charges linked to transfer of funds from a former 1MDB unit to Najib's bank accounts, ended Tuesday after five months. The judge will rule Nov. 11 on whether to acquit him or call his defense.
In the second trial, Najib faces four counts of abusing his power to receive a total of 2.3 billion ringgit ($546 million) from 2011 to 2014, and 21 other charges of receiving, using, and transferring illicit funds linked to 1MDB.
He faces up to 20 years in prison for each count of abuse of power and up to five years for each of the 21 money laundering charges.
After the scandal first broke in 2015, he said Najib and Low used fake letters and checks to pretend that the $681 million channeled into Najib's bank accounts were largely a donation from an Arab prince. Najib also interfered in the investigations, Sri Ram said.
Najib set up 1MDB when he took power in 2009 to promote economic development, but the fund amassed billions in debts and is being investigated in the U.S. and several other countries.