PHILIPPINES: GAY PRIDE MARCH
Date: 06/27/1999 04:00 AM
Manila, Philippines - June 26 1999
1. Tight shot of placard "same sex, same love"
2. Wide shot of lesbians holding placards and streamers
3. Wide shot of gay supporters with umbrella display
5. Group with umbrella display
6. Cutaway of spectators
7. Close up of three gays dancing
8. Spectator watching
9. Wide shot of gay march showing gay in a swimsuit wearing red cape
11. Tracking shot of two gay men in colorful costumes
12. Tracking shot of gay man wearing costume
13. Gay man wearing Marilyn Monroe costume marching
14. Edgar Mendoza on stage
15 SOUNDBITE: (English) Edgar Mendoza, gay man
16. Tight shot of dancing feet, pan up to back of gay dance, zoom out wide
17. Shot of gay man dancing
Hundreds of gay and lesbian Filipinos were joined by their supporters when they marched through the streets of the capital Manila in celebration of gay pride month.
Wearing colourful costumes and holding placards, they danced and paraded to push for the recognition of the gay community and to end discrimination.
The placard says it all.
The gay and lesbian community in the Philippines sees nothing wrong with love between people of the same sex.
This was the message of a colourful parade in Manila on Saturday.
More controversially they want to promote same-sex marriage in this predominantly Catholic nation, where it is considered very much a taboo.
Hundreds of Filipino gays and lesbians joined by their supporters - some from as far away as Europe and the United States - got together for the festive affair.
Wearing colourful and unique costumes, they managed to draw the attention of many onlookers.
Participants in this march say there is nothing wrong with people from the so-called third sex.
They hope the march will give them greater recognition and end some of the discrimination against gays in the Philippines.
"We are doing this event because we are proud of what we are, we are proud of how God made us to be."
SUPER CAPTION: Edgar Mendoza, Gay man
This parade is held every year in June, as the gay and lesbian community around the world celebrate gay pride month.