Tourists visiting the South Korean side of the border with North Korea on Saturday expressed their concern over heightened tension in the Korean peninsula, a day after North Korea warned foreign diplomats in Pyongyang that it couldn't guarantee the safety of embassies in the event of a conflict and suggested they may want to evacuate their staff.
Kim Tae-hyeon, an office worker, said he hoped North and South Korea "don't provoke each other and will take peaceful steps toward unification".
More South Koreans began to leave North Korea and the factory park where they work on Saturday, four days after Pyongyang closed the border to people and goods.
Twenty-one South Koreans returned from the Kaesong industrial park on Saturday morning, and about 100 of the roughly 600 still there were expected to return home by the day's end, the Unification Ministry in Seoul said.
The industrial park is the last remnant of North-South cooperation. Pyongyang's blocking of traffic there is among many provocative moves it has made recently in anger over UN sanctions for its February 12 nuclear test and current US-South Korean military drills.
North Korea suggested earlier this week that diplomats in Pyongyang leave for their own safety.
North Korea said last week it had entered a "state of war" with South Korea, but officials in Seoul say they have seen no preparations for a full-scale attack, while the chance of a localised conflict remains.
Earlier Pyongyang threatened a nuclear attack on the United States.
North Korea has not forced South Korean workers to leave Kaesong, but some of the South Korean companies working there are running out of raw materials because goods are being blocked at the border.