1. Bank of Korea Governor Lee Ju-yeol walking into BoK's monthly monetary policy meeting
2. Wide of meeting
3. Lee hitting the gravel to indicate the start of the meeting
4. Wide of meeting
5. Lee entering news conference
6. Wide of news conference
7. SOUNDBITE (Korean) Lee Ju-yeol, Governor, Bank of Korea:
"The monetary policy committee of the Bank of Korea decided today to lower the base rate from 2.25 percent to two percent."
8. Journalists at news conference
9. SOUNDBITE (Korean) Lee Ju-yeol, Governor, Bank of Korea:
"The committee will conduct monetary policy so as to maintain price stability over a medium-term horizon and pay greater attention to financial stability. In this process, it will closely monitor external risk factors, such as the shift in the US Federal Reserve's monetary policy stance, as well as the trends of household debt and of capital flows."
10. Shin Dong-joon, director and chief strategist of the Asset Research Department at Hana Daetoo Securities
11. SOUNDBITE (Korean) Shin Dong-joon, Director and Chief Strategist, Asset Research Department at Hana Daetoo Securities:
"Due to concerns that the overall global economy will slow down, it will be difficult for the South Korean economy to immediately get better because of the Bank of Korea's decision to lower the base interest rate. The South Korean government is expanding its fiscal policies, and overseas markets are in the exchange rate war by devaluating currencies. So these will allow us to combine policies supporting domestic consumptions and policies devaluating our currencies in the exchange market. I believe it will also lead to main agents' psychological stability."
12. Various of people shopping on Myeongdong street
13. SOUNDBITE (Korean) Kim Kyeong-mi, Company employee:
"Prices are already very high, so a product which used to be KRW100,000 now costs KRW150,000, so I worry a bit when I go grocery shopping."
"Anyhow, as the base interest rate decreases, real estate transactions are more active, and an increasing number of people are trying to purchase buildings and shopping arcades. As the base interest rate is now lower, I think the real estate business will be more active."