Ankara residents defiant in face of coup attempt
Dateline: Ankara - 16 July 2016
Date: 07/16/2016 09:38 AM
Ankara - 16 July 2016
1. Various of abandoned Turkish military tank in street
2. Crushed car (appears to have been run over by tank)
3. SOUNDBITE (Turkish) Ahmet Yilmaz, Ankara resident:
"We will not let them take these mighty lands which we have had for over 100 years. We would not let three, four looters take advantages of this."
4. Another crushed car (appears to have been run over by tank)
5. SOUNDBITE (Turkish) Tayfun Beyli, Ankara resident:
"This coup isn't an army action, this is an act of terrorism. Turkey will not surrender to this coup and Turkey has to survive these actions (coup attempt)."
6. Various of tank
Crushed cars lined the streets of Ankara on Saturday morning as reports emerged that soldiers who attempted a coup overnight have requested negotiations to surrender.
Defiant residents of the Turkish capital said their country would never surrender to a coup.
Turkey has announced that more than 1,500 soldiers have been arrested in the coup attempt.