"The suspects were brought for initial questioning at around two p.m. (1200 GMT) today and the prosecutor finished with them at eight (1800 GMT). From eight o'clock till now (four a.m. or 0200 GMT) they have been questioned by the judge. Three have already been released by the prosecutor, and of the remaining 12, nine of them have been arrested and the other three of them have been released to return for a further questioning. They gave their testimonies and they explained their cases. In their testimonies they all said they weren't involved in this crime and none of them are involved in any kind of illegal organisation, but those thought to be suspect by the judge have been detained and the rest have been released."
A state security court on Tuesday charged nine suspected accomplices in last week's Istanbul suicide bombings with membership in an illegal organisation or aiding an illegal organisation, a defence lawyer said.
The charges are punishable by up to five years in prison.
After a nightlong session of questioning, the court after midnight charged one of the suspected accomplices with "aiding and abating an illegal organisation," and eight others with "membership in an illegal organisation," lawyer Selahattin Karahan said.
Three other suspects were released, Karahan added.
No trial date was set.
The charges, coming just five days after the latest bombings, indicated quick progress - or a desire to see quick results - in the investigation into a suspected Islamic terror cell believed to be behind the spate of attacks that left 57 dead.
Four other people were released on Monday, apparently for lack of evidence.
Meanwhile, Istanbul city Governor Muammer Guler confirmed police had identified the man who rammed an explosive-packed pickup truck into the city's British Consulate and other "culprits" in the attack.
Uniformed police escorted 15 of his suspected accomplices into a state security court for questioning by the state prosecutor. Twelve were later questioned by a judge
The suspects covered their heads with jackets and coats as they arrived at the court.
A 16th suspect was brought to the court later.
Twin truck bombers killed 30 people on Thursday morning when they crashed into the British Consulate and a London-based bank.