Sorting office evacuated after white powder found in package.
Dateline: Liverpool - 16 Oct 2001
Date: 16/10/2001 04:00 AM
1. Wide shot, exterior, Royal Mail, zoom into sign
2. Policeman walking
3. Policeman talking to car driver
4. Police van behind security tape, woman talking on mobile phone
5. Pull out from fire engine
6. Police and emergency vehicles
7. Royal Mail vehicle driving away
8. Mid shot, policemen walking
9. Group of men behind security tape
10. Policeman talking to firefighters
11. Policeman talking to man behind security tape
Decontamination experts wearing protective suits and face masks have entered the Liverpool mail sorting office at the centre of a health scare.
The building was evacuated at 0600 GMT Tuesday morning when a suspicious substance was found leaking from an item of mail, thought to be a small package.
The substance has been removed from the building and is being analysed at a laboratory.
The results of the analysis are expected to be completed by late Tuesday.
The staff who were moved out of the building are being kept in a car park.
It's understood they were advised to remain there when their shift ended at 1300 GMT, until the tests on the suspect substance have been completed.
Meanwhile mail deliveries in Liverpool have been disrupted and roads near the sorting office have been blocked off.