Package following movements of George W. Bush on Sept 11.
Dateline: Nebraska - 11 Sept 2001
Date: 09/12/2001 04:00 AM
1. Presidential travel motorcade entering Offutt Air Force Base in Omaha, Nebraska
2. Motorcade stops at entrance gate
3. Travel pool vehicle moves along Air Force One
4. Vehicle moves around tail of Air Force One
5. Cameraman walks toward steps of Air Force One
6. President Bush on board Air Force One
7. Various of fighter escort alongside Air Force One
US President Bush is back in Washington Wednesday after taking a long route home from Florida Tuesday following the air attacks on New York's World Trade Center and the Pentagon.
Bush began the day in Sarasota, Florida but took detours to secure military bases in Louisiana and Nebraska before returning to the nation's capital.
At the first reports of attacks on the World Trade Center, Bush told his Sarasota school audience that "we've had a national tragedy" and said he had to hurry back to Washington.
However, he first went to the air base in Louisiana, then to Offutt Air Force Base in Nebraska, headquarters of the U-S Strategic Command.
Military fighter jets escorted the presidential aircraft.
Bush returned to the White House at dusk.
Emerging from his helicopter, he strode to the Oval Office to prepare for a televised speech to the nation.
While on board Air Force One he took part in telephone conferences with his national security team during the day, and called New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani from his plane.
Vice President Dick Cheney remained in a nearly deserted White House, in a secure basement bunker, with a handful of other top aides, including National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice.