1. Wide of National Museum African American History and Culture and Washington Monument
2. SOUNDBITE (English) Gale Johnson, Baltimore Resident:
"I think it's long overdue, actually. You know, something that is like this museum that is so focused on the African American experirence here."
3. Mid of people gathered on national mall
4. SOUNDBITE (English) Gale Johnson, Baltimore Resident:
"It's not going to solve anything, but I think that having this here and having people able to come and see what our experience is is going to help to foster better relations."
5. Various of people gathered, police motorcycles on street
6. SOUNDBITE (English) Adeleke Yusuf, From Nigeria:
"I am just so glad I'm able to witness it. I know there are a lot of people that in the past, truly struggled, that dreamed to see a day like this. But I'm just thankful that I'm alive today to be able to witness this."
7. Tracking shot of President Obama's motorcade driving past museum
8. SOUNDBITE (English) Adeleke Yusuf, From Nigeria, drawing link between recent police shootings and opening of museum:
"I watch passionately on TV. I've been watching everything, how it's happening. I think there's a connection because the -- you know, people want to be free."
"I think it's wonderful. I was disappointed when I found out that I had to have a timed ticket to get in and so I will not be able to see it today, but just wonderful. And was very happy about getting to hear President Obama speak today, and the words that were coming out of his mouth were just awesome."
"I was watching the faces of some of the African American people here today and I was watching the faces especially of the older African American people. And when I looked in their faces, I heard them just almost like closing their eyes and listening to President Obama because what they want to know is that the history of Africans Americans in this country are going to be represented there and the struggle. But also how much better we've become."
13. Various of dashiki shirts being sold outside museum