Battle to contain California wildfires continues
Dateline: Middletown - 15 September 2015
Date: 09/16/2015 06:47 AM
Middletown – 15 September 2015
1. Various of smoke billowing above hills
2. Air tanker dropping retardant
3. Smoke billowing above hills
4. Air tanker dropping red coloured retardant
5. Smoke above hills
6. Emergency truck alongside building
7. Air tanker dropping red coloured retardant
Fire crews are gaining ground against a devastating northern California fire that has destroyed hundreds of homes.
The fire in rural Lake County, less than 100 miles (161 kilometres) north of San Francisco, had been burning largely unchecked since Saturday, despite a massive firefighting effort.
But by Tuesday evening, Cal Fire said the blaze was 30 percent contained.
The blaze so far charred 105 square miles (168 kilometers) and destroyed at least 585 homes.
The Lake County fire, and another about 120 miles (193 kilometres) to the southeast, have displaced 23,000 people and are the worst of a dozen wildfires burning in the state.