Stung by several recent rulings favourable to the defence, prosecutors in the Michael Jackson child-molestation trial said they planned to wrap up their case as early as this week.
The pop star's trial resumed on Monday following a three-day break.
Meanwhile, speculation is mounting over whether prosecutors will call the pop star's former wife, Debbie Rowe.
Rowe is battling Jackson for custody of their two children, Prince, 8, and Paris, 7.
Prosecutors said last week they planned to rest their case during this, the trial's ninth week, clearing the way for Jackson's legal team to begin their defence of the pop star.
A host of A-list celebrities are expected to take the stand on behalf of the singer, including the screen legend Elizabeth Taylor, the television stars Larry King and Jay Leno, and the musician Stevie Wonder, to testify to the "King of Pop's" good character and innocent love of children.
Judge Rodney S. Melville cancelled Friday's court session when witnesses were not available to testify.
Melville denied prosecution requests on Thursday to present testimony on battered women's syndrome as it relates to the mother of Jackson's accuser and to present salacious new testimony from a former Jackson employee.
However, the judge said he would allow testimony from Chris Carter, a former Jackson security guard who was recently arrested for investigation of robbery in Las Vegas.
Carter was among those expected to testify this week.
Jackson, 46, is accused of molesting a 13-year-old boy in February or March 2003, giving the boy alcohol and conspiring to hold the boy's family captive to get them to rebut a TV documentary in which Jackson appeared with the boy and said he allowed children to sleep in his bed.
Jackson called the sleeping arrangement an innocent, non-sexual practice.