2. Long shot of petri dishes being lifted out of canister
3. SOUNDBITE (English) Fred Ahmay, NASA Researcher:
"When that time came we were made aware that they in fact did exist and had been recovered and we got an opportunity to see them and to our amazement they were virtually intact."
4. Mid shot of petri dishes from canisters
5. Mid shot of petri dishes being placed on table
6. Close up of petri dish being placed under microscope lens
7. Various of man looking into microscope
8. Close up of worms
9. SOUNDBITE (English) Fred Ahmay, NASA Researcher:
"Initially when we first received the canisters here at the hangar we were first focused on retrieving the autonomous temperature data lockers that we had placed inside which measured temperatures at various time in a role throughout the entire flight. We were concerned that those batteries had died or had leaked and would have hurt the integrity of the lockers so we merely opened up the canisters just enough to get the lockers out and to our amazement we down loaded them normally, still on flat battery power, and obtained some valuable temperature data from that. Then the following Monday which was last Monday whit our principal investigators present here at Kennedy we continued to open the brick 60 canisters. We retrieved the petri dishes which were the containment for the (inert gas) argon in which the worms lived. We were again amazed that every petri dish, still contained argon. We started to look at them under a microscope and immediately discovered we actually had live animals survive to the point that we got them."
10. Close up of box being opened
11. Close up of contents of canisters being lifted up
12. Close up of petri being placed under microscope lens
Business , Space industry , Mosses , Aerospace , College football , Technology , Defense , Sports , College sports , Space industry , Space technologies , Plants , Industrial technologies , Industrial products and services , Industries , Worms , Aerospace technologies , College football , Football , Aerospace and defense , Animals , Environment and nature , Space industry