Fans gathered at sites around the country to pay respects to Robin Williams who was found dead Monday of an apparent suicide. Memorials have been set up at his home, and several locations featured in his movies. (Aug. 12)
Restrictions: Part No Access North America
Date: 08/12/2014 11:30 PM
Beverly Hills - July 29, 2013
1. Various of Robin Williams at CBS party
Tiburon, California - August 12, 2014
2. Various of small memorial outside Robin Williams' home where he was found dead
ABC NEWS - NO ACCESS NORTH AMERICA
San Rafael, California - August 12, 2014
3. SOUNDBITE (English) Lt. Keith Boyd, Marin County Sheriff's Department (transcript below)
Los Angeles - October 4, 2006
4. Shot of robin williams being interviewed at movie premiere
5. Robin Williams at CBS party
6. Wide of Robin Williams at film premiere
San Francisco - August 12, 2014
7. Wide of home where 'Mrs. Doubtfire' was filmed
8. SOUNDBITE (English) Haven Daley, Associated Press (transcript below)
9. Various of memorial at 'Mrs. Doubtfire' home
10. SOUNDBITE (English) Marion Blumberg, Robin Williams fan from San Francisco (transcript below)
11. Various shots of memorial set up at former San Francisco home of Robin Williams
12. SOUNDBITE (English) Regina Singh, Robin Williams fan (transcript below)
New York - August 12, 2014
13. Various of memorial outside Caroline's on Broadway comedy club
14. SOUNDBITE (English) Susan Ross, Robin Williams fan (transcript below)
Boulder, Colorado - August 12, 2014
15. Various of memorial set up outside the fictional home of 'Mork and Mindy' from the sitcom starring Robin Williams
16. Various cards left at memorials outside 'Mrs. Doubtfire' home
FOR CLEAN VERSION SEE STORY NUMBER: apus015397
ACTOR COMEDIAN ROBIN WILLIAMS COMMITTED SUICIDE BY HANGING HIMSELF...
...IN HIS SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA HOME.
OFFICIALS MADE THE ANNOUNCEMENT TUESDAY_A DAY AFTER HIS PERSONAL ASSISTANT DISCOVERED HIS BODY.
SOUNDBITE (English) Lt. Keith Boyd, Marin County Sheriff's Department
"Entered the bedroom to find Mr. Williams clothed, in a seated position unresponsive with a belt secured around his neck."
THE ACTOR-COMEDIAN HAD BEEN TREATED FOR DEPRESSION RECENTLY...AND HAD A LONG HISTORY WITH SUBSTANCE ABUSE.
"Toxicology testing will be conducted to determine if Mr. Williams had any chemical substances in his system at the time of his death."
SOUNDBITE (English) Haven Daley, Associated Press
"Meanwhile, here at the San Francisco home featured in the movie "Mrs. Doubtfire," fans have been stopping by to pay their respect."
SOUNDBITE (English) Marion Blumberg, Fan from San Francisco
"His son went to school with my sons. We would see him at school functions. He was just a regular dad. Loved his kids."
FANS ALSO SHOWED UP AT THE OSCAR-WINNING ACTOR'S FORMER SAN FRANCISCO HOME.
SOUNDBITE (English) Regina Singh, Fan from Sacramento
"Since I've been in this country, all I do is watch his movies. So I'm a very big fan, big time."
THEY'RE ALSO REMEMBERING WILLIAMS AT COMEDY CLUBS IN NEW YORK CITY...
SOUNDBITE (English) Susan Ross, Fan from New York
"I think everyone's very sad, nobody has a bad thing to say about Robin Williams. You can't find anybody who's going to. You know, he was a great, great guy."
...AND IN COLORADO -- AT THE HOME USED FOR HIS BREAK-THROUGH TV SHOW "MORK & MINDY.".
SOUNDBITE: (English) Rose Widera, Boulder Fan
"It was just our way of coming out and paying tribute and saying goodbye.''
WILLIAMS LEAVES BEHIND A WIFE AND THREE CHILDREN.
FUNERAL ARRANGEMENTS ARE STILL PENDING.
HAVEN DALEY, ASSOCIATED PRESS, SAN FRANCISCO.