A South Korean court on Tuesday handed a 36-year prison sentence to the captain of a sunken ferry, saying he was professionally negligent and abandoned his passengers during the disaster in April that killed more than 300 people. (Nov. 11)
Restrictions: See Shotlist
SOUTH KOREAN COAST GUARD
FOREIGN MEDIA POOL
Date: 11/11/2014 09:57 AM
Gwangju, South Korea - Nover 2014
1. Family members of Danwon High School student victims from the Sewol Ferry disaster
SOUTH KOREAN COAST GUARD HANDOUT
FILE: At sea, near Jindo island - 16 April 2014
2. Various aerials of capsized ship, rescue boats approaching
3. Close of a mother of one student victim
FOREIGN MEDIA POOL
Gwangju, South Korea - November 11, 2014
++CLIENTS PLEASE NOTE: THE JUDGE HAS ORDERED THAT NO FACES OF THE DEFENDANTS BE SHOWN ON CAMERA IN COURT++
2. Courtroom where crew members of sunken 'Sewol' ferry were waiting for their verdicts
3. Mid of judge
4. Various of press conference
5. SOUNDBITE (Korean): Ko Young-hee, Mother of Danwon High School student victim Choi Jin-hyuk: (see script)
7. Various of bus carrying 15 crew members of sunken ferry, Sewol, entering the Gwangju District Court
8. Crew members inside the bus
9. Police escorting ferry Captain Lee Joon-seok up staircase
10. Various of police escorting crew members
YONHAP - NO ACCESS TO SOUTH KOREA
Seoul, South Korea- November 11, 2014
11. South Korean Oceans and Fisheries Minister Lee Ju-young entering news conference room
12. Various aerials of emergency crews on boats rescuing passengers
13.. Various of rescue helicopter lifting rescued passengers in metal basket
FOR CLEAN VERSION SEE STORY NUMBER: 2031999, 2031950, 2031990, 2031955
FAMILY MEMBERS OF THE VICTIMS WHO DIED WHEN THE FERRY 'SEWOL' SANK NEARLY SEVEN MONTHS AGO RECEIVED A LONG AWAITED VERDICT TUESDAY
A SOUTH KOREAN COURT HANDED A 36-YEAR PRISON SENTENCE TO THE CAPTAIN WHO ABANDONED HIS PASSENGERS DURING THE APRIL DISASTER THAT KILLED 300 PEOPLE.
THE COURT SAID HE WAS PROFESSIONALLY NEGLIGENT.
ELEVEN OTHERS FACED LESS SERIOUS CHARGES - BUT SOME FAMILY MEMBERS SAY THE PUNISHMENT WASN'T ENOUGH.
SOUNDBITE (Korean): Ko Young-hee, Mother of Danwon High School student victim Choi Jin-hyuk:
"All my daily life and future has been crushed forever since the 16th of April. All mothers' lives have disappeared in such a way. Just five-years in jail to pay for what they did?
CAPTAIN LEE JOON-SEOK HAS APOLOGIZED FOR ABANDONING PASSENGERS - HE SAID HE DIDN'T KNOW HIS ACTION WOULD LEAD TO SO MANY DEATHS.
ACCORDING TO THE COURT - PROSECUTORS AND THE CREW MEMBERS HAVE ONE WEEK TO APPEAL
ON THE SAME DAY OF THE SENTENCING OFFICIALS ANNOUNCED THE END OF THE SEARCH FOR BODIES
ALMOST 500 PEOPLE WERE ON-BOARD - BUT ONLY 172 WERE RESCUED
MOST OF THE DEAD WERE TEENAGE STUDENTS TRAVELLING TO A RESORT ISLAND ON A SCHOOL TRIP.
SALIM ESSAID, ASSOCIATED PRESS.