1. Eric Black Jr., 20, brought down courthouse hall before his hearing in connection with the shooting death of Jazmine Barnes, prosecutors charge Black with being the driver for the gunman
2. SOUNDBITE (English) Samantha Knecht, Assistant District Attorney, Harris Co.:
"This morning what we did and we approached the judge, and we read probable cause to the court and as part of our probable cause yes we believe that the evidence pointing to eric black as the driver of the getaway vehicle in the shooting of Jazmine."
HOUSTON — JANUARY 5 2019
3. SOUNDBITE (English) Chris Cevilla, Victim's Father:
"It's just very heartfelt, to know what everyone else wants. Justice for my baby."
4. Various of vigil for 7-year-old Jazmine Barnes, shot and killed in what appears to be drive-by shooting, resulting from mistaken identity, picture on banner for Barnes, people shouting "say her name."
"They're doing something, they're making something move. And there is going to be justice for her and feel it in the bottom of my heart."
HOUSTON — JANUARY 7 2019
6. Suspect being escorted through court hall way
7. SOUNDBITE (English) Samantha Knecht, Assistant District Attorney, Harris Co.:
"In texas the law says that whether you're the driver or you're the actual shooter that everyone is held accountable the same.and in this case because jazmine was only 7 years old when she was shot and killed, the law in texas is quite clear that this is capital murder and that's how we've charged him."
HOUSTON – January 7 2019
8. Suspect being brought into court room by bailiffs
HOUSTON — JANUARY 7 2019
9. SOUNDBITE (English) Samantha Knecht, Assistant District Attorney, Harris Co.:
"So it's our understanding that this is case of mistaken identity, that they fired into the vehicle believing that it was in retaliation for an altercation that happened earlier in the night, not realizing that in fact jazmine and her family were in the vehicle."
10. Suspect being escorted through hall
11. SOUNDBITE (English) Samantha Knecht, Assistant District Attorney, Harris Co.:
"No 7 year old deserves this, no family deserves this, especially this time of year. and so I am happy that we have someone in custody at this point and charged and I look forward to continuing our investigation and seeking justice for Jazmine."
12. Suspect being escorted into court room
13. SOUNDBITE (English) Bishop James Dixon, The Community of Faith Church:
"It gives some answers and i'm sure some solace at some point but we must understand that the immediate concern of this family and Ms. Washington is: my child has a funeral tomorrow at 12 o'clock."
14. Vairous of suspect being moved to alternate holding area
A prosecutor says a drive-by shooting that killed a 7-year-old Houston girl happened after two men mistook the car she was in for one belonging to individuals they had fought with at a club hours earlier.
Details about what prompted Jazmine Barnes' fatal shooting were made public during a brief court hearing Monday for 20-year-old Eric Black Jr.
Authorities believe Black, who is charged with capital murder, was driving the SUV from which the shots were fired Dec. 30.
Black didn't say anything during the brief hearing.
His attorney, Alvin Nunnery, asked the judge to bar investigators from interviewing Black.
After the hearing, prosecutor Samantha Knecht declined to comment on the other suspect in the case, who is believed to be the shooter.
James Dixon, Bishop of The Community of Life Church in Houston, says he'll be pastor presiding over Barnes' funeral on Tuesday. He told reporters the girl's mother is getting some solace that investigators made progress on finding a suspect connected to the shooting, but that her primary concern is her daughter's funeral.