1. New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio arrives at an event hosted by Harvard University’s John F. Kennedy School of Government
2. SOUNDBITE (English) Bill de Blasio, New York City Mayor:
"Look, New York City gave Amazon a real opportunity here and all we asked was that they'd be a good neighbor and be part of a community and, clearly, they weren't ready to do that. That's very disappointing. There was no dialogue. There was no effort to work together. I don't understand it. I really don't. Yeah, we are a tough city, but they should have known that coming in. And, you know, other people will take their place."
3. New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio says he prefers to wish participants a happy Valentine’s day before commenting on Amazon’s decision to pull the plug on plans to set up a headquarters in New York City
4. SOUNDBITE (English) Bill de Blasio, New York City Mayor:
"I got a phone call from a senior Amazon executive just as the rumors were starting to come out. There was no ... there was no dialogue, there was no effort to, you know, talk about: 'well, how could we avoid this problem? What can we do to fix this?' It was just they made a decision and they really didn't care about talking to the rest of us."
5. Wide of New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio at the Harvard University event
6. SOUNDBITE (English) Bill de Blasio, New York City Mayor:
"I was flabbergasted. I said, you know, why on earth, after all the effort that we all have put in, would you simply walk away? It doesn't make sense given everything that has been done here and that if they had a concern why didn't we talk about it and try to address it. But, you know, it's clear they made up their mind on their own, and if that's the way they thought they could be a part of our community, it probably wasn't gonna work out anyway. They thought they could just be an island and not a part of our city. You know, there's plenty of other tech ...I should say companies .... there's plenty of other tech companies that are good neighbors New York City."
7. Wider view of New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio
8. SOUNDBITE (English) Bill de Blasio, New York City Mayor:
"I thought there would be some people who disagree with the deal, but I did not think it would be the level it ended up being. But that's not the issue to me. It's a democratic society, people can offer their viewpoints -- that's fine. In the end, the government of New York City, the government New York state made an agreement with Amazon, stuck to the agreement. I don't know how someone just walks away with no dialogue. I don't know how a company just up and leaves without even an attempt to work out their concerns. That's the root of the problem here."