1. GRAPHIC: WARNING: This video contains graphic content that may be disturbing to some viewers.
Matamoros, Mexico – 25 June 2019
2. Mexican authorities walking along the Rio Grande bank where the bodies were found
GRAPHIC: Searing images show a man and his 23-month-old daughter face down in shallow water on the Mexico bank of the Rio Grande.
GRAPHIC: They highlight the perils of the latest migration crisis.
++WARNING GRAPHIC CONTENT++
3. Bodies of Salvadoran migrant Óscar Alberto Martínez Ramírez and his 23-month-old daughter Valeria lying on the bank of the Rio Grande and two men off to the side
4. STILL: Bodies of Salvadoran migrant Óscar Alberto Martínez Ramírez and his 23-month-old daughter Valeria lying on the bank of the Rio Grande
San Martin, El Salvador – 25 June 2019
5. Photos of Óscar Alberto Martínez Ramírez with his daughter Valeria and his wife Tania Vanessa Ávalos
6. Rosa Ramirez holding photos of her son and his family
7. SOUNDBITE (Spanish) Rosa Ramirez, mother of Óscar Alberto Martínez Ramírez and grandmother to his daughter Valeria:
"The last message he sent me was on Saturday. He said 'Mama, I love you'. He said 'take care of yourselves because we are fine here.' When I read that message, I don't know, it made me want to cry because I saw it as a sort of good-bye."
The man and his 23-month-old daughter lay face down in shallow water along the Matamoros, Mexico bank of the Rio Grande across from Brownsville, Texas.
His black shirt was hiked up his chest with the girl tucked inside, and her arm draped loosed around his neck suggesting she clung to him in her final moments.
The searing photograph highlights the perils faced by mostly Central Americans fleeing violence and poverty and hoping for asylum in the U.S.
Details of the incident were confirmed Tuesday by a Tamaulipas government official who was not authorized to discuss the matter publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity, and by Martínez's mother back in El Salvador, Rosa Ramírez, who spoke with her daughter-in-law by phone afterward.