Several dozen survivors of an alleged mass killing by American soldiers during the early days of the Korean War have called on the U-S government to conduct a speedy investigation.
The South Koreans demanded the U-S Army finish with its investigation by the original deadline of June 25, which is the 50th anniversary of the outbreak of the 1950-53 Korean War.
Some 30 protesters gathered in Seoul on Tuesday for an hour-long demonstration.
The rally was led by the head of the Committee for Unveiling the Truth about the No Gun Ri Massacre, Chung Eun-yong Man.
He and the other protesters called on the U-S government to 'apologise and compensate' the victims of the alleged massacre.
Carrying banners and chanting for compensation, the marchers were accompanied by hundreds of policemen, but there was no violence.
Earlier in the day, Chung and five other representatives had met U-S Ambassador Stephen W. Bosworth to put forward their grievances.
Chung said he handed over a letter addressed to President Bill Clinton, asking for a speedy probe.
The survivors complain that they have been kept in the dark about the investigation and want the U-S Army to include civilian experts and human rights activists in its probe of the alleged massacre.
"..Wonder whether the U.S. government has the will to investigate..."
SUPER CAPTION: Head of the Committee for Unveiling Truth about the No Gun Ri Massacre, Chung Eun-yong
Last week, U-S Defence Secretary William Cohen said the army had not yet reached conclusions in its investigation of whether American soldiers killed numerous South Korean civilians at No Gun Ri during the Korean War.
The army has indicated it probably will not issue its final report until this autumn, citing discrepancies in accounts provided by U-S veterans and Korean survivors.
At the rally, Chung expressed frustration at what the survivors perceive to be delaying tactics.
"The U-S government had postponed reply to our demand for years. But this is not a issue for the victims of No Gun Ri Massacre and the U-S government any more. Now we want to let the public know the truth. As written on the
banner, we want the U-S government to apologise and compensate."
SUPER CAPTION: Chung Eun-yong, Head of the Committee for Unveiling Truth about the No Gun Ri Massacre
The investigation began after APTN and the Associated Press, in a report last year, quoted U-S veterans as saying American soldiers killed at least 100 civilians.
Korean survivors said as many as 300 civilians, many of them women and children, were machine-gunned under a railroad bridge at No Gun Ri following a strafing in which about 100 died.
Before publication of the story, South Koreans who sought acknowledgement of the killings and compensation were told by U-S officials that the allegations had been investigated and no evidence of a massacre was found.