1. Various of federal employees covered by AFGE Union contracts and supporters picketing around the Leland Federal Building in downtown Houston, which houses the local offices of US Sen. Ted Cruz, (R) Texas
2. Protest signs during picket
3. SOUNDBITE (English) Vanessa Jordan, NASA Employee, Member of AFGE:
"I shouldn't be a hostage in this game of tug of war. we shouldn't have to go through this every few months. and this is out of hand. It's over a month. and I don't have money. I don't have money to pay my bills. I can't even go to the doctor, I have to choose between paying a copay or paying a bill."
4. Wide of building while protest happens
5. Protest sign
6. UPSOUND: "Our president and Texas Senator who claims to support law enforcement and government employees who "want to make America great?" Then end the shutdown!"
7. American flag flying on the office building plaza
8. Protest sign
9. People filing past from low angle
10. SOUNDBITE (English) Bridget Broussard-Guidry, NASA Employee, AFGE Representative:
"So everyone is facing something different. I personally have a savings account I am dipping into, but other people don't have that luxury. We have people that can get loans and some that can't."
11. Protest continues
12. View of demonstration with building sign in view
Dozens of federal workers and supporters held an informational picket outside of the Leland Federal Building in downtown Houston. Many described the hardships and stresses they are feeling after 35 days of a shutdown government and having missed two paychecks.
President Donald Trump has agreed to fund the government for three weeks while negotiations continue on his demand for money to build a border wall with Mexico.