Updated: 2 April 2012
WHAT INFORMATION DOES AP COLLECT?
AP may collect personally identifiable information when you specifically and knowingly provide it to us, such as when you provide your personal information such as your e-mail address, name, phone number or address.
WHAT DOES AP DO WITH THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT?
AP will use the personally identifiable information directly submitted by you solely for the purpose for which you have provided it. We may also use the information you provide to us to contact you for reasons related to your original communication to us. Additionally, we may periodically send you promotional e-mail about existing or prospective products and services offered by AP, as well as to obtain information to better understand our users. We may disclose all of the information we collect about you to our affiliates who offer related goods and services, and to nonaffiliated third parties that perform services on our behalf, including marketing services.
With regard to non-personally identifiable information, AP is currently using and has contracted with third party vendors to track and analyze usage and volume statistical information from our users to administer our content in order to improve our services. We may also perform statistical analysis of user behavior in order to measure interest in our online products and services for product development purposes and to inform advertisers as to how many consumers have seen or clicked their advertisement. We also use demographic and preference information to allow advertisements on our sites to be targeted to the users for whom they are most pertinent, so users see advertising that is most likely to interest them, and advertisers send their messages to people who are most likely to be receptive.
This information may also be used as part of our demographic research. In this event, the research is compiled and analyzed on an aggregated basis. The AP reserves the right and may grant to third parties such right to publish non-personally identifiable, aggregate information regarding our users for promotional purposes and as a representative audience for advertisers.
AP will not disclose any personally identifiable information about our current or former users to anyone, except as permitted or required by law, or as described herein. AP will endeavor to maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect the confidentiality of the information that we collect online.
WITH WHOM DOES AP SHARE THE INFORMATION IT COLLECTS?
As a general rule, AP will not disclose any of your personally identifiable information except under one of the following circumstances:
• we have your permission;
• we determine in good faith that information is legally required to be revealed by any relevant statute, regulation, ordinance, rule, administrative or court order, decree, or subpoena;
• information revealed during the course of AP’s enforcement of the policies and procedures of the Website;
• information that we determine must be disclosed to correct what we believe to be false or misleading information or to address activities that we believe to be manipulative, deceptive or otherwise a violation of law;
• where you are otherwise notified at the time we collect the data;
• where we need to share your information to provide the product or service you have requested;
• when disclosed to an affiliate of AP or when such disclosure is made subject to confidentiality restrictions in connection with a sale, merger, transfer, exchange, or other disposition (whether of assets, stock, or otherwise) of all or a portion of the business conducted by the Website. AP may share the non-personally identifiable information that AP gathers, in aggregate form only, with advertisers and other partners.
THIRD PARTY SITES
If you are located outside of the United States of America, please note that the information you provide to us will be transferred to the United States of America. By using this Website, you consent to this transfer.
NOTE REGARDING USE OF SITES BY CHILDREN
None of our AP websites is directed to individuals under the age of thirteen (13) years.
HOW DOES A USER CHANGE OR UPDATE THEIR INFORMATION?
firstname.lastname@example.org or please write to the following address:
The Associated Press
450 West 33rd Street
New York, NY 10001