- Track and field (1)
- Women's sports (1)
- Men's sports (1)
|Summary:||Ethiopiaâ€™s Fikadu Kebebe wins third edition of Rabat International Marathon|
|Date:||03/06/2017 01:00 PM|
Ethiopians Fikadu Kebebe Debele and Alemu Worknesch won the men's and women's races at the third International Marathon of Rabat on Sunday (5th March).
More than nine thousand athletes took part in the third edition of the International Marathon of Rabat on Sunday.
This year 30 countries were represented, but as usual the men's and women's podiums had only Kenyans and Ethiopians standing on them at the end.
Three events took place on Sunday, the main marathon (42.195 kilometres), the half-marathon (21.097 kilometres) and an 11-kilometre long race was tried for the first time in Rabat.
Ethiopian Fikadu Kebebe Debele won men's marathon in two hours, nine minutes and 37 seconds, two seconds ahead of Kenyan Sammy Kigen and seven ahead of compatriot Samuel Getachew Demie.
Moroccan Abdenasser Fathi participated in his first ever marathon and finished fifth in the men's race in two hours, 14 minutes and 33 seconds.
Ethiopian Alemu Worknesch won the women's race in two hours, 30 minutes and four seconds, more than three minutes ahead second-placed Jeptoo Eunice of Kenya and four ahead of Ethiopian Bekelu Beji Geletu.
The International Marathon of Rabat, Rabat, Morocco. 5th March 2017.
1. 00:00 Start of Marathon
2. 00:10 Country flags
3. 00:14 Various of Marathon
4. 00:23 Mid of runners
5. 00:30 Spectators watching marathon on screen
6. 00:35 Wide of Fikadu Kebebe Debele crossing finishing line
7. 00:41 Ethiopian Fikadu Kebebe Debele on podium
8. 00:46 SOUNDBITE: (English) Fikadu Kebebe Debele, winner of 2017 International Marathon of Rabat:
"I've run three marathons recently. In one I came second, but in this one I was number one ... It's a good time in Morocco."
9. 01:07 Wide of the Ethiopian Alemu Worknesch, winner of Women's Marathon on her way to finishing line
10. 01:19 Various of Abdenasser Fathi running.
11. 01:33 SOUNDBITE (Arabic): Abdenasser Fathi, Moroccan athlete, fifth place at 2017 International Marathon of Rabat:
"The competition was very tough, the course was excellent. But for me this experience is missing a little bit (talking about not finishing in top three), because it was my first marathon. I felt tired at the 35-kilometre mark but thankfully I finished in fifth place. I was the first Moroccan to cross the line."
12. 01:58 Various of Marathon